Monday, June 2, 2008

May 30th 2008 Ride# 28 BOS-PHL

I got an e-mail this afternoon that Amtrak had recorded enough Amtrak Guest Rewards rail points so that I now had Select Plus status. I was disappointed that the note said my kit would take something like 4-6 weeks to arrive!

I sulked.

Later, I took another look at my e-mail. It said to click on a link to my temporary Select Plus card. I printed it, and carefully cut it out. I looked forward to hanging out in the 1st class lounge.

When I got to the train station, I saw my former boss, whom I still work with. I asked him how long he had to wait, and he said that he had missed his train, and had to wait more than an hour. With my newfound powers, I invited him up to the 1st class lounge. We talked business. He used the 1st class men’s room, and I even offered him a FREE soda.

I noticed a couple of more things about the 1st class lounge. There is a little TV watching area. Besides the self serve soda fountain, they have a little glass refrigerator stocked with spring water and Juices. I also saw what seemed to be complementary copies of the Wall Street Journal and the Boston Globe. Lastly, I found out that the fellow behind the desk in the 1st class lounge can also take care of your tickets, and then you don’t have to wait in line.

No comments: